Mobile phone and PDA usability assessment is critical to your business. In fact , mobile and handheld simplicity testing could possibly be even more important than computer-based user friendliness testing. The primary reasons for this are:
– The number of persons accessing the online world from mobile phone and portable devices is definitely increasing at a massive pace – in 2008 by themselves there’ll end up being an estimated 58 million PDAs sold global.
– People generally have way less experience of using their mobile to visit online than they do of using their laptop. This means that computer-based users can be assumed to possess a higher level of existing expertise than mobile and handheld users.
– The platform by which users access your site is certainly far less predictable when using mobile phones. Computer-based website visitors generally just differ from one other in their browser and operating system (i. electronic. most people will make use of a screen, mouse button and keyboard), whereas the various types of mobile phones and PDAs change can dramatically.
Which in turn mobile phones and PDAs must you consider?
Cellphones and PDAs can differ from a another significantly, and this can radically modification how people experience and use websites. Some of the ways that handheld products can differ involve:
– Screen-size (small or large)
– Display layout (portrait vs . landscape)
– Input machine (stylus, oldschoolpizza.nl numeric pad, dial-wheel, QWERTY keypad)
Because the cellular phone / PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT that someone is applying will have this sort of a deep effect on their very own experience of your web site, you should try to try with numerous mobile phones and PDAs as is feasible.
Of course , testing with every cellphone and PDA is very unlikely. Here are some ways to help reduce the number of equipment you’ll need to test with:
— Your mobile phone site visitors may belong to a specific audience. Selected audiences often prefer particular types of phones (e. g. smartphone with big screens that can support on the web access vs . small-screen designs that aren’t).
– You will find ‘phone families’ that offer the same user experience (and will not likely need to be tested individually).
– You may only want to test together with the most popular mobile phones in Europe or perhaps the most well-known models that are to be used to gain access to your site (you can check your site statistics to find out this kind of information).
Who do you wish to test with?
The people you intend to conduct the mobile phone usability testing trainings with should, of course , be based upon your particular organization and its crowd. Some things to keep in mind include:
– How much experience they should own of employing their mobile phones to reach services. This is particularly important as the market meant for accessing on the web services through mobile phones is growing and the percent of ‘complete novices’ (i. e. people using the technology for the first time) will be even higher than with regards to computer users of the website.
— Which cellular phone or PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT they have. We would usually suggest that people apply their own mobile phone in a treatment, so the evaluation can focus on your website and necessarily on the way the handheld device performs.
Exactly where should mobile phone usability evaluating sessions be conducted?
Cellphones and PDAs are used inside the real world consequently usability tests of handheld devices should certainly therefore not simply take place in a usability lab.
Where, the moment and how a mobile phone is utilized is critical to a person’s experience of the site they are accessing. Any of the following circumstances could affect this encounter and therefore things to consider of the web site’s usability:
– Background sound
– Concurrent tasks (i. e. nearly anything the person is performing at the same time)
– Physical movement
As such, we would recommend, if you can, that any mobile phone and PDA functionality testing is certainly conducted in a laboratory and also inside the ‘outside world’.
How you method and operate mobile phone user friendliness sessions depends on your business and its target audience, but the most popular ways of mobile user friendliness testing involve:
– Lab-based (using a camera to record the session)
— Diary-studies (asking people to preserve a record of how they may have used their particular mobile phone and any challenges they encounter)
– Old fashioned paper prototypes (running usability testing on a paper based version belonging to the site, using mobile phone screen-sized pieces of paper)